Wednesday, September 8, 2010

dance of the dead

A waste of time
Not unlike trying to turn
Water into wine
I turn my face towards my god
Hearing his signs
Wasn't enough for you
When I sought to be content in the guidance
Simply living a life of surrender
Not to please myself
Rather to please that above
And when well pleased
I feel the ocean of doubt
Drift away
Like oil on the surface of the water
It clogs
And burns away
With the spark of faith
I rehearse the favors given to me
Not appreciating was a waste of time
It was sugar coated
And you couldn't get yourself out of
The middle

Because of the temptation
Which was allowed to touch the beauty of your choice
A test
Forgiveness for not realizing
Sugar coated
Was an indulgence
And it sold yourself short
Of the glory
Of the power
Beg for your suffering to be taken from you
Beg for your wish to be granted to you
Prayer wasn't meant to succeed your wants

Rather to feel the presence
Perhaps what you want will be given to you
Would that not sell those who came before you
Those who struggled some without
The begging of their souls
The best you could ask for
Is to be shown the way
Not the indulgence of a material want
A weakness
One for which you will have no answer
For it was told before your birth
That the righteous will suffer
But what is suffering to those who
Know the truth
Like smoke on the surface
Curling away from itself
What is suffering
To those with joy in their hearts
A meaning I forgive myself
For seeking in another heart
Because it comes from above
And as I live to please my lord
The vanity is touching thin
And underneath I see strength


For those of faith
The answers are all around them
Finding something deeper
Than comfort
Certainly you will be comfortable
When you pass your test
And find glory
In the pleasing of your god
One for which all else was made
Simply to please
Don't make me say this twice
You weren't born here to please yourself
And as our forgetful nature
Hides our scars
In an imperfect memory
Living like an animal
Is living to please oneself
One's people
All of it temporary
So hold onto your legacy
While everything else floats away
Could have been so simple
To not hold your success
And failure
So close
Like the stars
In reality
You could never touch
And inside the moment
Was your chance
To surrender
And on your deathbed
Watch this all pass away
The dance of the dead
Was to live
And love
That way
Holding it close
For fear it would pass away
While the dance of the dead
Brings us temporary happiness
Lasting like our death
For a moment in time
The dance of the dead

No comments:

Post a Comment